Friday, March 13, 2009

WHY AM I EATING?

Hi Everyone,

Have you ever asked yourself the question - Why am I eating?

A friend of mine told me this story recently. She said - I used to go with a co-worker to get a latte and a brownie most afternoons around 3pm as a 'stress break' -- I changed that to a skinny latte and we split a brownie. Then I realized it was about 'getting away' and being with my friend and we started walking to the bakery and I would get water and occasionally a 'treat' skinny latte instead. It was about the friend, not the food.

Sometimes we do what we have always done without thinking. In order to change a behavior that is not helping us get where we WANT to go we need to rethink things that we do every day. We have to think about the comfort zone. Am I hungry? If I am, I should eat, if not recreational eating will not get me to my goal. Recreational eating is when I am eating because others are - or because others want me to. Taking care of ourselves without eating is something we need to develop. As in my story at the beginning visiting with a friend to relieve stress and relax does not require a brownie.

Check out the Week 4 book and the Reframing Tool. Reframing will help you manage your feeling in a more supportive way. A way that will help you get to your goal of weight loss success!!!!

Try this great kebab recipe -

ISLAND PORK AND PINEAPPLE KEBABS
Makes 4 servings - points value per serving 5

1/2 cup reduced sugar apricot preserves
1 Tablespoon lime juice
1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 20 chunks
16 fresh pineapple chunks
1 1/4 teaspoons jamaican jerk seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Spray a broiler rack with nonstick spray and preheat the broiler.

2. To make the glaze, combine the preserves and lime juice in a small bowl; mix well and set aside.

3. Combine the pork, pineapple, jerk seasoning and salt in a medium bowl; toss to coat. Thread the pork and pineapple alternately on 4 (12 inch) metal skewers. Place the kebabs on the broiler rack and broil 5 inches from the heat, turning every 2 minutes, until the pork is cooked through, about 8 minutes. Brush the kebabs with half the glaze and broil 1 minute. Turn the kebabs, brush with remaining glaze, and broil until lightly browned, about 1 minute longer. Serve at once.

See you at the meeting!!!
Lorraine

No comments: